Army on high alert: 3 militant attacks in last 24 hours in J&K

RSTV Bureau

Militants carried out a series of attacks on security forces in Kashmir, in which 13 jawans were injured and four service rifles looted.

The attacks — four in south and one in north Kashmir — came in a span of four hours on Tuesday.

Representational Image

CRPF personnel

DGP SP Vaid told media that there was intelligence input about terror attacks on the 17th day of Ramzan today and the anniversary of Battle of Badr, the first battle of Islam which took place in March 624 AD, and all necessary precautions were taken.

In the third such incident in as many days, militants hurled a grenade at a CRPF camp in Pulwama district on Tuesday, injuring 10 personnel.

The camp housed troops of the force’s 180th battalion at Ladiyar village of Tral, 35 kms from here, a police official said.

A senior CRPF official in Delhi said the grenade exploded in the area where the troops had gathered for a meal, causing splinter injures to 10 of them. They were rushed to the 92 base hospital, he said.

The area around the camp was cordoned off to nab the unidentified militants, the police official said.

This is the second grenade attack in Tral in two days and third such incident in the valley since Sunday.

Two CRPF troopers were injured in a grenade attack by militants on their camp in Tral town yesterday. A sub- inspector of the force and three policemen were injured in a grenade attack on a security picket at Saraf Kadal in downtown Srinagar on Sunday.

No militant outfit has so far claimed responsibility for the grenade attacks.

“We have told all our units deployed in Jammu and Kashmir to remained extra vigilant against such attacks and continue to launch operations against militants,” the CRPF official said.

In the second attack, the militants opened firing on the security personnel guarding the residence of a retired high court judge at Anchidora in Anantnag district, resulting in injuries to two cops, he said.

The police chief said the ultras snatched four self- loading rifles from the cops posted there.

The third attack took place on a CRPF camp at Padgampora  in Pulwama, but no one was hurt in it as the grenade hurled by the militants exploded mid-air.