12 held guilty for July 2006 Mumbai train blasts

SansadTV Bureau

Mumbai_trainblast2Special MCOCA court in Mumbai has held 12 accused guilty in July 2006 suburban train bomb blast case. 189 people were killed and scores left injured after series of powerful RDX laden bombs exploded inside the compartments of seven moving trains. The special court is likely to announce the quantum of next week after the arguments on the sentence will begin on Monday.

Delivering the verdict, the Special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) Judge Yatin D Shinde pronounced 12 accused as guilty. Meanwhile, one accused 34 years old Abdul Wahid Shaikh was acquitted in the case.

The 12 accused who were convicted today are: Kamal Ahamed Ansari (37), Tanvir Ahmed Ansari (37), Mohd Faisal Shaikh (36), Ehtesham Siddiqui (30), Mohammad Majid Shafi (32), Shaikh Alam Shaikh (41), Mohd Sajid Ansari (34), Muzzammil Shaikh (27), Soheil Mehmood Shaikh (43), Zamir Ahmad Shaikh (36), Naveed Hussain Khan (30) and Asif Khan (38).

In a meticulously investigated case also known as the 7/11 Mumbai train blasts, 15 suspects still remain on the run, including a suspected LeT man Azam Chima.

The trial that lasted eight long years saw 192 witnesses examined by the prosecution side, which included eight Indian Police Service (IPS) and five Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officers as well as 18 doctors. The defence lawyers too had examined 51 witnesses and one person was called as a court witness. The deposition made by witnesses runs into around 5,500 pages.

Described as one of the deadliest terror incident in the city, the seven serial blasts occurred within a span of 10 minutes between Khar Road-Santacruz, Bandra-Khar Road, Jogeshwari-Mahim Junction, Mira Road- Bhayander, Matunga- Mahim Junction and Borivali bound local suburban trains.

Investigations revealed that powerful RDX bombs were used in all the seven first class coaches of Mumbai’s suburban trains on the evening of July 11, 2006.

The MCOCA court concluded the trial on August 19 last year, eight years after the incident as the examination of witnesses could only resume after two years as the trial was stayed by the Supreme Court in 2008 pending few appeals. The Supreme Court had finally vacated the stay on April 23, 2010.

(With inputs from the PTI)