Around 30 kg polythene was found in the rumen of a dead cow in Naina town of the Bundi district, a government veterinary official said.
The 9-year-old cow was brought to the hospital on Monday and it died on the same day due to the excess quantity of polythene and other waste present in its rumen that caused fermentation and digestion process to stop, said Mukesh Kumar Meena, doctor at Naina government veterinary hospital.
It is likely that the animal was consuming polythene packs and bags from roadsides for years, he said, adding animals like cows tend to feed on polythene in the absence of food.
The cow was brought to the hospital by one Hemant Kumar Chauhan, secretary of Gopal Panchyat Goshala which is a government run cow shelter.
Bundi Municipal Council Inspector, Rajkumar Rathore, said as per the directions of state government a drive against polythene use is being run from January 1 to January 15 across the state.
Over 2.50 quintals of polythene has been seized from various places so far and 11 cases have been lodged in the connection, Rathore said.