Around 300 school students were taken ill on Tuesday after a gas leakage from sugar mill near their school in Shamli district of Uttar Pradesh. According to the officials, all the children are safe and are undergoing treatment in various hospitals.
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has ordered a probe into the matter by Commissioner Saharanpur.
According to the reports, the students of a private school in Shamli started complaining of stomach ache, nausea and burning sensation in their eyes after gas leakage from a neighbouring sugar mill.
“We have come to know that similar incidents had taken place in the past. A probe is on and strict action will be taken against those responsible,” ADG, Meerut zone, Prashant Kumar said.
Soon after the incident was reported, Uttar Pradesh government ordered probe by a senior rank official.
“The CM has ordered a probe into the Shamli incident by Commissioner Shaharanpur and directed the DM and all local officers to provide all possible help to the affected children,” Principal Secretary, Information, Awanish Awasthi told the press.
The incident has raised a major question on the safety norms followed by the mill in disposing off the waste.
The local alleged that sugar mill employees used to discharge chemicals in waste dumps leading to emission of harmful gas inhaling which children took ill, with some of them falling unconscious.
(With inputs from PTI)