841 deaths so far due to swine flu, over 14000 affected: Nadda

RSTV Bureau

The Government on Tuesday said that 841 persons have perished due to swine flu while the number of affected persons has breached the 14,500 mark even as it assured that no efforts will be spared for “effectively” dealing with the situation.

Health Minister J P Nadda in his statement in both the Houses of Parliament regarding Outbreak of H1N1 Seasonal Influenza made it clear that the cases of Influenza A currently being reported are of H1N1 which is the same virus which took a huge toll during 2009 and there is “no mutation” in the virus.

He said that Oseltamivir drug used during the time of pandemic 2009-2010 remains effective for treatment now as well.

“It has been confirmed, both by National Institute of Virology (under ICMR) and National Centre for Diseases Control, (Delhi) that the cases of Influenza A currently being reported are of H1N1”.

“It is the same virus of 2009 and there is no mutation in the virus. Consequently, the drug Oseltamivir used during the time of pandemic 2009-2010 remains effective for treatment now also,” he said in the statement amid fears that the virus might have mutated.

He said in the current year, from January 1 till February 22, 2015, the number of cases reported by the states is 14673 while the number of deaths for the same period is 841.

He said that the number of reported cases in 2009 was 27236 and in 2010 the cases were 20604. The number of deaths in 2009 was 981 and in 2010 the deaths increased to 1763.

“The situation is being closely monitored by us and all necessary assistance is being provided to the states. Adequate stocks of medicine, masks and PPE are available. No efforts will be spared for effectively dealing with the situation,” Nadda said in his statement.