Acquitted of twin murder, Talwar couple walk out of jail

Rajat Kain

File photo of dentist-couple Nupur Talwar and Rajesh Talwar. Photo - PTI

File photo of dentist-couple Nupur Talwar and Rajesh Talwar.
Photo – PTI

Noida’s dentist couple Rajesh and Nupur Talwar, who were last week acquitted by Allahabad High Court in the murder case of their daughter Aarushi and domestic help Hemraj, walked out of Dasna Jail this evening. The couple had been lodged in jail near Ghaziabad after they were convicted and sentenced for life by the CBI special court on November 25, 2013.

Last week, Allahabad High Court acquitted the couple junking the trial court order questioning the prosecution’s case and evidence put forth against the couple.

Pronouncing the verdict, a division bench of justices BK Narayana and AK Mishra held that as per the circumstances and the evidence on record the dentist couple could not be held guilty.

14-year-old Aarushi Talwar, student of DPS Noida, was found murdered on the morning of May 16, 2008 by her parents. Their 45-year-old domestic help Hemraj, then missing, was presumed to be the murderer and Noida police launched a hunt to nab him.

But the case turned on its head next morning when Hemraj’s dead body was discovered on the rooftop of their Jalvayu Vihar apartment in sector 25 Noida.

After investigation, which has often been questioned by Talwars and their associates, Noida police arrested Rajesh Talwar on May 23, 2016.

As local police attracted major criticism for handling the case and especially the evidence during their probe, the matter was transferred to the CBI after a recommendation by then Chief Minister Mayawati’s administration.

The CBI, though initially maintained Rajesh Talwar as accused, in the course of their investigation arrested dentist couple’s compounder Krishna, Rajkumar — domestic help of their friend Prafful and Anita Durrani and other domestic help Vijay Mandal – who worked in the neighbouring apartment.

Rajesh Talwar in July 2008 was let off by the CBI which then admitted they have no evidence against him. However, as CBI failed to file chargesheet against the three – Krishna, Rajkumar and Vijay Mandal – they too were granted bail by the lower court by September 2008.

In December 2010, CBI filed the closure report in the Ghaziabad special court clearing the three hitherto accused of involvement but pointed fingers at Talwar couple.

Interestingly, the CBI teams too had differences over the case. While the first team was of opinion that Talwar couple was innocent and the murders were committed by the domestic help trio, the second team of CBI, headed by late AGL Kaul, were convinced of parent’s involvement.

The court, after taking cognizance of the closure report, had summoned Rajesh and Nupur Talwar to face trial under the charges of murder and destruction of evidence.

After several rounds of court battle, where the matter reached Supreme Court as well, the trial began in May 2012 after the apex court rejected their plea seeking stay on trial and directed them follow proceedings at the trial court.