Five people have died and over 100 faced breathing trouble after they inhaled ammonia gas that leaked from a tanker.
The leak occurred early on Saturday morning when the tanker got stuck under a flyover on the Doraha Bypass Road, about 25 kms from Ludhiana, police said.
“Five persons died from inhaling the gas and over 100 others complained of breathing problems. Those affected after inhaling the gas have been admitted to various hospitals in Ludhiana. Barring 2-3 persons, all were stated to be out of danger by the doctors,” told Ludhiana Police Commissioner Pramod.
Those affected were rushed to different hospitals in Ludhiana, SHO of Doraha Police Station, Rajnish Kumar Sood said.
Locals in the area ran out of their houses when the leaked gas spread in Doraha area. Residents of near-by areas also had to be evacuated after the incident, police said.
All the five people who died were male adults. Two of the deceased were identified as Satpal of Doraha and Avtej Singh of Jalandhar.
Khanna SSP Gurpreet Singh Gill said that driver was to be blamed for the incident. The tanker got stuck under the flyover and its valve got damaged, resulting in the leakage, added Gill.
“It was late in the night and there was no heavy traffic. The driver should have seen if the vehicle would pass through,” Gill said.
The police also mentioned that the tanker was registered in Gujarat.
Senior district and police officials rushed to the spot to take stock of the situation.
(With inputs from PTI)