The Indian Army will have a free hand in devising retaliation against the mutilation of two soldiers by Pakistan Army’s Border Action Team.
Describing the mutilation as an extreme form of barbaric act, Defence Minister Arun Jaitley said the whole country has full confidence and faith in its armed forces and that the sacrifice of the two soldiers will not go in vain.
The Act of killing & mutilating the bodies of two of our soldiers is the most reprehensible & barbaric. The sacrifice will not go in vain.
— Arun Jaitley (@arunjaitley) May 1, 2017
Reports suggest that Army Chief General Bipin Rawat has reached Jammu on Monday night took stock of the security situation in Poonch sector and was holding strategy meets with forces.
— NorthernComd.IA (@NorthernComd_IA) May 1, 2017
Monday’s beheading of two security men by Pakistan’s special forces along the Line of Control is the third such incident in the past six months.
Army sources here said that two similar incidents had taken place last October and November. Both the incidents had taken place in Machil area on the Line of Control, leaving two soldiers dead.
The sources said, 65 ceasefire violations have taken place this year, including five in Krishna Ghati sector and 40 in Nowshera.
So far, the security forces killed 42 terrorists, including eight in counter-infiltration operations and 34 in city areas of Jammu and Kashmir.
In 2016, 225 ceasefire violations were reported, which stood at 150 in in 2015 and 153 in 2014. While 150 terrorists were killed in 2016, 101 were eliminated in 2015 and 104 in 2014, the sources said.