Attack on Africans: Worried Sushma calls Rajnath Singh

SansadTV Bureau
New Delhi: External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj speaks in the Rajya Sabha during Winter Session of the parliament in New Delhi on Monday. PTI Photo

New Delhi: File photo of External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj speaking in the Rajya Sabha during Winter Session of Parliament. PTI Photo

Amid fresh cases of assault on African nationals and outrage by envoys of African countries over killing of a Congolese youth in Delhi, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj spoke to Home Minister Rajnath Singh and Delhi Lt Governor Najeeb Jung on the matter. She asked both Singh and Jung to ensure the safety of the community and called for strict action against those found guilty.

Meanwhile, Delhi Police arrested 5 people and detained for questioning 4 others, in connection with the 3 recent cases of assault on African nationals in Mehrauli. At least six African nationals had sustained injuries in the incidents.

The External Affairs Minister said both Singh and Jung assured her that the culprits will be arrested soon.

“I have spoken to Shri Rajnath Singh ji and Lt Governor Delhi reg attack on African nationals in South Delhi yesterday….They assured me that the culprits will be arrested soon and sensitisation campaign will be launched in areas where African nationals reside,” Swaraj said in a series of tweets.

“I have asked Gen V K Singh, MoS and Secretary Amar Sinha to meet# African students who have announced demonstration at Jantar Mantar,” she said in another tweet.

Sinha, Secretary (Economic Relations) in the MEA has been in touch with African community following the attacks.

African students are planning demonstrations on Tuesday at Jantar Mantar seeking action against the guilty.

The government has also decided to transport the Congolese national’s mortal remains to the Democratic Republic of Congo.

The government will assist the family of the Congolese youth Masunda Kitanda Oliver to come to India and to take his mortal remains, said External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson Vikas Swarup.
“In the unfortunate death of Mr.Masunda Oliver, the Government will assist his family to travel to India to receive his mortal remains. We will also arrange for his mortal remains to be transported to DR Congo at our expense,” he said.

Envoys of African countries on Thursday had expressed shock over Oliver’s killing in Delhi last week.

After the attack, India assured the African nations of safety of African nationals.

Even as African envoys reacted sharply to Oliver’s killing, three cases of physical assault and criminal intimidation of African nationals in south Delhi were registered by the police.

Police attributed two of the incidents to locals raising objection to the African nationals’ playing loud music at late night. In the third incident locals raised objection against a group of Africans consuming alcohol in public.

All three incidents had taken place on Thursday in areas under the jurisdiction of Mehrauli Police Station.

The complainants in Thursday’s cases include two women — one from Uganda and the other from South Africa — and at least two Nigerian men, police said.

In a separate incident, a 23-year-old Nigerian student was attacked in Hyderabad on Wednesday night over dispute over parking. Swaraj had taken up the issue with Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao, who promised stringent action against the guilty. She had also sought an urgent report from the Telangana government on the attack.

(With inputs from PTI)