“There is nothing in it” BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur claimed when asked about the issue in a press conference in Delhi to announce the team for Zimbabwe tour.
Lalit Modi had created another storm on Saturday by claiming on a micro-blogging site that he had written to ICC CEO Dave Richardson in June 2013, passing on “some information regarding the alleged involvement” of two leading Indian cricketers and a West Indian player received cash and kind from the concerned businessman. The BCCI has now denied any merit in the matter.
“Lalit Modi had written a letter to ICC, so they informed BCCI about the letter. The three players are international players and fall under the international jurisdiction. There is no information on these players from ICC so far, so it is in a way a clean chit for them to play,” Anurag Thakur said.
The BCCI secretary also claimed that the matter is under the purview of International Cricket Council (ICC) and only they can answer it.
“When somebody plays international cricket, the ICC is responsible. Only the ICC can answer as per their investigations. It falls under ICC’s purview. They have said that they are enquiring, so only they can answer on this. If there was anything, they could have reported back to us,” he said further on the controversial issue.
On its part, the ICC has also confirmed about receiving Lalit Modi’s letter and following the due process after getting complaint about the said players.
“The ICC confirms that Mr Modi’s confidential e-mail, which was received in June 2013, and which has recently been published on Twitter, was provided to the ACSU at that time. The ACSU handled that information in accordance with its standard operating procedures, which included sharing it with the BCCI’s anti-corruption unit,” the ICC had said.