When Bharatiya Janata Party released its second candidates for the upcoming Assembly polls in Kerala, it announced their best bet in the state.
Former Indian pacer will now test his fate in election battle field after his disappearance from cricket field.
On Friday, BJP’s Central Election Committee (CEC) announced his name along with 50 candidates Sreesanth formally joined the party to contest on a BJP ticket.
The 33-year-old bowler still faces a ban on playing any form of cricket by the BCCI said his name has been cleared by the court in a match-fixing case and he is, therefore, not worried about any Opposition attack on him regarding the controversy.
The CEC is chaired by party President Amit Shah and was attended by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and several other leaders.
Apart from Sreesanth, several lawyers, a filmmaker, engineers and trade union activists found place in BJPs contenders for Kerala polls.
“People want an alternate government in the state; they are fed up with UDF and LDF. We are attempting to make inroads in to the state, we are trying to get people from various sections,” said JP Nadda, senior BJP leader.
Congresses sitting MP in Trivandrum Shashi Tharoor said BJP made a mistake by choosing Sreesanth.
“By not putting up a more credible candidate, BJP is essentially handing over seat to us,” said Tharoor.
BJP had already announced 22 candidates from Kerala.