Union Government is exploring options to bring an Ordinance to defer the implementation of the Supreme Court-ordered NEET by one year. Sources in the government said today that the Ordinance could be brought to “postpone the effect of the Supreme Court judgement by 12 months”.
The decision comes after state governments asked the Centre to consider the stress the students will face. On Monday, two rounds of hectic meetings were held to build consensus before taking the Ordinance route.
Union health minister JP Nadda met health ministers of 14 states where he had made it clear that private medical colleges and deemed universities cannot have their entrance exams and will have to take students only through the NEET route.
Echoing states sentiment to post pone a sole entrance test for medical colleges by one year, major political parties came in support of government’s proposal after Centre kicked off consultations on the issue on Tuesday. Several state governments want their exams to be the basis for admission for their 85 per cent quota seats for this year too.
The all party meeting and the consultations with state health ministers came amid reports that Centre may bring an ordinance to bypass the apex court’s ruling making NEET mandatory from this year.
The Health Minister has said that the future course of action will be formulated “soon” as the Centre was committed to bringing in transparency in medical education system and remove alleged malpractices.
The Supreme Court had ruled that starting this academic session, students would have to appear in NEET to seek admission to medical or dental colleges in the country.
The apex court order had implied that all government colleges, deemed universities and private medical colleges would be covered under NEET and those examinations which had already taken place or were slated to be conducted separately stand scrapped.