Congress now takes on Modi Govt on Naga peace deal

RSTV Bureau

Rahul-in-ParlThe Congress has taken on the Modi government over the recently signed Naga peace accord. Congress President Sonia Gandhi slammed the Centre on the issue and accused it of not taking the chief ministers of north eastern states into confidence.

Congress hit out at the Centre for showing “arrogance” over the issue. According to the party, the voice of three north-east states of Manipur, Assam and Arunachal Pradesh was being “suppressed”.

Congress has claimed that the chief ministers of these three states, who are directly affected by the Naga accord, were “totally blank” regarding the pact.

“Nobody has even bothered to brief them, perhaps not in detail, but in a wide sense. After all, our chief ministers are directly affected, be it Manipur, Arunachal Pradesh or Assam. So, what do I take from this? From this I take that this government is arrogant,” lashed out the Congress President.

“This Government keeps on saying that everybody has to be taken along and that they will hold consultations with all, will take the views of all Chief Ministers. Then what happened? Their arrogance is now even more clear than before,” Sonia Gandhi told the reporters in the Parliament complex.

The Congress called the deal an insult to not just “the chief ministers, but also the people of these states and the federal structure” of the country.

“It’s an insult to every single citizen in these three states and it’s an insult to the people of India the way this government does work,” said Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi.

PM Modi-Naga-accord-3Two days ago, on August 3, Modi government signed a peace accord with rebel outfit National Socialist Council of Nagaland (Isaac-Muivah), also referred to as NSCN (IM). Prime Minister Modi was present at the event and he called it a “historic” step to usher in peace in the state of Nagaland.  The deal is said to have been finalised after nearly two decades of peace talks.

Congress Chief Ministers like Tarun Gogoi of Assam and Nabam Tuki of Arunchal Pradesh welcomed the accord but were also miffed at not being taken into confidence. Gogoi came out and said that he is astonished as to why “clauses of the agreement had been kept in the dark.”

The peace agreement was signed with the biggest rebel group NSCN (IM). But this group has been maintaining ceasefire since 1997. However, another faction of NSCN led by SS Khaplang continues to indulge in violence and is believed to be behind the deadly attack on the Army convoy in Manipur that killed 18 soldiers in June 2015.