Advisory on Social Distancing to check the spread of COVID-19 disease
What is Social distancing?
Social distancing is a non-pharmaceutical infection prevention and control intervention implemented to avoid/decrease contact between those who are infected with a disease-causing pathogen and those who are not, so as to stop or slow down the rate and extent of disease transmission in a community. This eventually leads to a decrease in spread, morbidity and mortality due to the disease.
The interventions proposed by the government till now:
1. Closure of all educational establishments (schools, universities etc), gyms, museums, cultural and social centres, swimming pools and theatres. Students should be advised to stay at home. Online education to be promoted.
2. Possibility of postponing exams may be explored. Ongoing exams to be conducted only after ensuring the physical distance of one meter amongst students.
3. Encourage private sector organizations/employers to allow employees to work from home wherever feasible.
4. Meetings, as far as feasible, shall be done through video conferences. Minimize or reschedule meetings involving a large number of people unless necessary.
5. Restaurants to ensure handwashing protocol and proper cleanliness of frequently touched surfaces. Ensure physical distancing (minimum 1metre) between tables; encourage open-air seating where practical with adequate distancing.
6. Keep already planned weddings to a limited gathering, postpone all non-essential social and cultural gatherings.
7. Local authorities to have a dialogue with organizers of sporting events and competitions involving large gatherings and they may be advised to postpone such events.
8. Local authorities to have a dialogue with opinion leaders and religious leaders to regulate mass gatherings and should ensure no overcrowding/at least one-metre distance between people.
9. Local authorities to have a meeting with traders associations and other stakeholders to regulate hours, exhibit Do’s and Don’ts and take up a communication drive-in market places like sabzi mandi, anaj mandi, bus depots, railway stations, post-offices etc., where essential services are provided.
10. All commercial activities must keep a distance of one meter between customers. Measures to reduce peak hour crowding in markets.
11. Non-essential travel should be avoided. Buses, Trains and aeroplanes to maximize social distancing in public transport besides ensuring regular and proper disinfection of surfaces.
12. Hospitals to follow necessary protocol related with COVID-19 management as prescribed and restrict family/friends/children visiting patients in hospitals.
13. Hygiene and physical distancing has to be maintained. Shaking hands and hugging as a matter of greeting to be avoided.
14. Special protective measures for delivery men/ women working in online ordering services.
15. Keep communities informed consistently and constantly. Ministry of Health & Family Welfare
The Helpline Number for coronavirus: +91-11-23978046
Toll-Free No: 1075
Helpline Numbers of States & Union Territories (UTs)
1 Andhra Pradesh 0866-2410978
2 Arunachal Pradesh 9436055743
3 Assam 6913347770
4 Bihar 104
5 Chhattisgarh 104
6 Goa 104
7 Gujarat 104
8 Haryana 8558893911
9 Himachal Pradesh 104
10 Jharkhand 104
11 Karnataka 104
12 Kerala 0471-2552056
13 Madhya Pradesh 0755-2527177
14 Maharashtra 020-26127394
15 Manipur 3852411668
16 Meghalaya 108
17 Mizoram 102
18 Nagaland 7005539653
19 Odisha 9439994859
20 Punjab 104
21 Rajasthan 0141-2225624
22 Sikkim 104
23 Tamil Nadu 044-29510500
24 Telangana 104
25 Tripura 0381-2315879
26 Uttarakhand 104
27 Uttar Pradesh 18001805145
28 West Bengal 1800313444222, 03323412600
1 Andaman and Nicobar Islands 03192-232102
2 Chandigarh 9779558282
3 Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu 104
4 Delhi 011-22307145
5 Jammu & Kashmir 01912520982, 0194-2440283
6 Ladakh 01982256462
7 Lakshadweep 104
8 Puducherry 104
The Helpline Email ID for coronavirus: email@example.com
Link for the Ministry of Health and Family welfare: https://www.mohfw.gov.in/
(With inputs from Ministry of Health and Family Welfare)