A special CBI court in Ranchi pronounced its judgement in a fodder scam case on Saturday afternoon. The court convicted former Bihar chief minister and RJD chief Lalu Prasad after he was found guilty. RJD has said that the party it will move the high court against the special CBI court order.
The other former Bihar chief minister Jagannath Mishra, who was also an accused in the case, was acquitted along with five others.
A total of 16 people were convicted by the court including Lalu Prasad. All the convicts were taken into custody immediately after the verdict was pronounced. The quantum of sentence in the case will be pronounced on January 3, 2018.
Lalu Prasad’s son Tejaswi Yadav, who is the Leader of Opposition in the Bihar Assembly, was present in the court.
The case pertains to alleged fraudulent withdrawal of Rs 89.27 lakh from Deoghar Treasury between 1991 and 1994.
Lalu Prasad and other convicted in the fodder scam case were then whisked off to Birsa Munda jail, where security has been tightened, CBI sources said.
Soon after the verdict Lalu lashed out on twitter.
The special court acquitted 80-year-old Jagannath Mishra and five others — former Public Accounts Committee chairman Druv Bhagat, former Indian Revenue Service officer A C Choudhary, fodder suppliers Saraswati Chandra and Sadhana Singh and former minister Vidya Sagar Nishad.
Besides Lalu Prasad, the court convicted political leaders Jagdish Sharma and R K Rana, IAS officers Beck Julius, Phoolchand Singh and Mahesh Prasad, and government officials Krishna Kumar and Subir Bhattacharya. The others are suppliers/transporters Tripurari Mohan Prasad, Sushil Kumar Sinha, Sunil Kumar Sinha, Raja Ram Joshi, Gopinath Das, Sanjay Agarwal, Jyoti Kumar Jha and Sunil Gandhi.
In 1996, the Patna High Court ordered an inquiry into the fodder scam cases and a charge sheet in the Deogarh treasury case was filed against 38 people on October 27, 1997. Eleven of them died and three turned approvers while two other accused confessed and were convicted in 2006-07, a CBI official said.
The accused faced charges under various sections of the IPC and the Prevention of Corruption Act.
A charge sheet was filed against 38 persons on October 27, 1997. Eleven of them died and three turned approvers while two other accused confessed and were convicted in 2006-07.
On September 30, 2013, Yadav, Jagannath Mishra and several others had been convicted in another case pertaining to illegal withdrawal of Rs 37.7 crore from Chaibasa Treasury in the early 1990s. Today’s conviction is the second in the scam.
The Supreme Court had granted bail on December 13 that year to Prasad, who had been behind the bars for two months. Prasad had moved the apex court challenging the order of the
Lalu faces another three fodder scam cases for illegal withdrawal of Rs 3.97 crore from the Dumka Treasury, Rs 36 crore from the Chaibasa Treasury and Rs 184 crore from the Doranda treasury.
(With inputs from agencies)