Rajnath: UPA conspired to frame Modi in Ishrat case

RSTV Bureau
File photo of Ishrat Jehan (PTI)

File photo of Ishrat Jehan (PTI)

Responding to a calling attention motion on “alleged alteration of affidavit relating to Ishrat Jehan case” in the Lok Sabha, Home Minister Rajnath Singh said ‘the previous regime had done a ‘flip-flop’ on the links of Ishrat Jehan with terror outfit LeT.

“Unfortunately, I have to say this that there was a flip-flop by UPA government in the Ishrat Jehan case,’’ said the Home Minister.

Taking a jibe at the UPA governments ‘hindu terror’ remark, Singh said ‘terror has no colour. The seculars gave colour to terrorism. Selective secularism cannot be accepted by the country.

He said the recent statement made by Headley reaffirmed the first affidavit filed by the UPA government on August 6, 2009 before the Gujarat High Court that Ishrat had links with LeT.

“It (Headley’s statement) was the second clear indication that she was a terrorist,” he said.

The minister said the second affidavit filed by the government before the High Court on September 29, 2009 “weakened” the fact that she was a LeT operative.

He also said erstwhile government planned “deep conspiracy” to frame Narendra Modi when he was the Gujarat Chief Minister.

Few key documents including two letters written by the then Home Secretary G K Pillai to then Attorney General late G E Vahanvati and the copy of the draft affidavit have so far been untraceable.

“We have ordered an internal enquiry in the Home Ministry in this regard and necessary action will be taken accordingly,” he said.

Singh said the noting on the ‘concerned’ file does not provide any reason for filing of the second affidavit.

He said the second affidavit stated that all intelligence inputs “do not constitute conclusive proof” and it is for the state government and the state police to act on such inputs.

“It was further submitted that the central government is in no way concerned with such action nor does it condone or endorse any unjustified or excessive action.

The first affidavit was filed on the basis of inputs from Maharashtra and Gujarat Police said that the 19-year-old girl from Mumbai outskirts was a Lashkar-e-Taiba activist but it was ignored in the second affidavit, Home Ministry officials said.

The second affidavit, claimed to have been drafted by Chidambaram, said there was no conclusive evidence to prove that Ishrat was a terrorist, officials said.

Former Union Home Secretary G K Pillai had claimed that as Home Minister, Chidambaram had recalled the file a month after the original affidavit, which described Ishrat and her slain aides as LeT operatives, was filed in the court.

Ishrat, Javed Shaikh alias Pranesh Pillai, Amjadali Akbarali Rana and Zeeshan Johar were killed in an encounter with Gujarat Police on the outskirts of Ahmedabad on June 15, 2004.

The city crime branch had then said those killed in the encounters were LeT terrorists and had landed in Gujarat to kill then Chief Minister Narendra Modi.

(With PTI Inputs)