Israel, Hamas begin 12-hour ‘Humanitarian window’

RSTV Bureau

israel_attackA 12-hour “humanitarian window” began on Saturday after Israel and militants in Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip agreed to a UN request for a pause in fighting, but a ceasefire deal still looked elusive even as the 19-day conflict has killed 884 Palestinian and 38 Israelis.

Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said late Friday night that there was “national consensus on a humanitarian truce for 12 hours on Saturday”.

The Israel Defence Forces (IDF) later confirmed the truce but vowed to continue to “locate and neutralise” Hamas tunnels during the truce that started at 8 A.M.

The Israeli army said in a statement that they will respond if terrorists choose to exploit this time to attack IDF personnel or fire at Israeli civilians.

Palestinian Health Ministry in Gaza said that so far 884 people, most of them civilians, have been killed there with 19 dying overnight in Israeli strikes.

Two Israeli soldiers were also killed in fighting in Gaza raising the death toll on the Israeli side to 38.

Meanwhile, international efforts to negotiate a longer seven-day ceasefire continues with foreign ministers from the US, UK, Turkey and Qatar scheduled to meet in France later on Saturday try to negotiate a longer-term truce.

US Secretary of State John Kerry said on Friday that he was still confident of a longer ceasefire, despite of  media reports that  said Israel had rejected his proposal.

The announcement of the humanitarian window came shortly after Israeli Defence Minister Moshe Ya’alon warned that ground operations in Gaza could soon be broadened significantly.

Israeli Defence Minister told to the soldiers that they need to be ready for the possibility that very soon they  will  get instruction  to significantly broaden the ground operation in Gaza.

Hamas has insisted that it would not agree to any long-term truce that did not lead to an end to Israel’s blockade of the Gaza Strip and made provisions to open crossings to allow free movement of people and goods.

Palestinian militants also fired a barrage of rockets out of Gaza, triggering sirens across much of southern and central Israel.