The Jat community has threatened to relaunch their agitation if the Haryana government does not agree to their demands of reservation by the March 17 deadline, which ends today.
“On March 17, we will decide on the next mode of action on whether to block roads, railway tracks or any other type of agitation,” said Yashpal Malik, the chief of All India Jat Sangharsh Samiti.
The Jats primarily demand 10 per cent quota in jobs and educational institutions and withdrawal of FIRs registered against the protesters during the last month’s agitation which crippled Delhi for four days.
They want the state government to bring a Bill in the ongoing budget session of the Assembly to ensure reservation for Jats.
Their demands also include compensation for those who were killed during the stir and action against BJP MP from Kurukshetra Raj Kumar Saini for his “anti-Jat” reservation stand.
The Jat agitation had turned violent last month. More than 30 people reportedly died because of the protests.
This time the BJP-led government in Haryana is not taking any chances. Haryana government has sought paramilitary forces from the Centre to be deployed in sensitive areas.
Paramilitary forces and police were out in the sensitive districts and carrying out Flag Marches in various places.
The Centre has sent 80 companies (about 800 personnel) of paramilitary forces to the state which are being deployed in sensitive areas like Rohtak and Jhajjar districts, which were the worst-affected during the first phase of the agitation last month.
“We have already got the paramilitary force. The police is on the alert and we are making all arrangements (to maintain law and order),” said IGP, Rohtak Range, Sanjay Kumar.
Haryana police was criticised for its “failure” to prevent and control violence during the agitation. The then IGP Rohtak Shrikant Jadhav was suspended by the government.
Several districts including Rohtak, which was the epicentre of Jat agitation, Jhajjar, Kaithal, Jind, Sonipat, Bhiwani had witnessed violence.
(With inputs from PTI)