Jayalalithaa released from jail with caveats

SansadTV Bureau

AIADMK supremo after release on Saturday

AIADMK supremo J Jayalalithaa was on Saturday released from jail after 21 days, a day after Supreme Court granted her bail in an 18-year-old disproportionate assets case.

Jayalalithaa stepped out of Parappana Agrahara Central Prison ashortly after Special Court Judge John Michael D’ Cunha issued the release order.

Tamil Nadu Chief Minister O Pannerselvam, several ministers, MPs and legislators were in attendance to receive her near the prison after which she headed to HAL airport to fly back to Chennai by a special flight.

Jayalalithaa had on Friday got a major relief when the Supreme Court granted her conditional bail and suspended the sentence of four years simple imprisonment given by the trial court in Bangalore in the 18-year old illegal assets case.

Earlier, the release order by the Special Court came after a bond for Rs two crore and surety on assets for more than Rs one crore was furnished for Jayalalitha. Copy of the Supreme Court order was also produced by her lawyers.

Jayalalithaa’s close aide Sasikala and her relatives Sudhakaran and Elavarasi, who also fufilled similar conditions, also walked out of jail.

AIADMK supporters carrying Jayalalithaa’s photos and holding flowers broke into celebrations as her motorcade passed through the heavily guarded route from the prison.

Hundreds of policeman, including city armed reserve, were posted in and around the prison, with authorities clamping prohibitory orders anticipating huge flow of AIADMK supporters.

With the AIADMK chief enjoying “Z” Plus category, police had stepped up security supervised by senior officials and barricaded areas in and around the prison complex and blocked access one km away on the road leading to the prison.

At the Karnataka-Tamil Nadu border point on Hosur also, police and city armed reserve kept a close vigil and regulated movement of vehicles from the neighbouring state into the city. The jail is located about 20 kms from the Hosur point.

Jayalalithaa and three others had moved the Supreme Court after failing to get relief from the Karnataka High Court.