The Supreme Court on Monday set aside the Bombay High Court order to grant bail to Lt. Col. Shrikant Prasad Purohit in the 2008 Malegaon serial blast case.
But the bench comprising of Justices RK Agrawal and AM Sapre imposed certain conditions on Purohit while granting him bail.
Among the conditions imposed by apex court while granting bail to Purohit was that he would not leave India without prior permission of court and not directly or indirectly make any inducement to any witnesses.
On August 17, Purohit had told the apex court that he had been caught in “political crossfire” and was languishing in jail for nine years.
The apex court said there were “material contradictions” in the charge sheets filed by the Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS), Mumbai and the National Investigating Agency (NIA), which are required to be tested at the time of trial, and it cannot pick or choose one version over the other.
Keeping in view that NIA submitted a supplementary charge sheet which is “at variance” with the one filed by the ATS, the trial was likely to take a long time and the appellant has been in prison for about eight years and eight months, “we are of the considered view that the appellant has made out a prima facie case for release on bail and we deem it appropriate to enlarge the appellant herein on bail,” the bench said.
Purohit had moved the apex court challenging the Bombay High Court’s order that dismissed his bail plea.
Seven people were killed in a bomb blast on September 29, 2008, at Malegaon, a town in Nasik district of north Maharashtra.
(With inputs from PTI)