In an unfortunate incident occurred on Tuesday night two buses carrying at least 20 people went missing after an old bridge connecting Poladpur to Mahad in Maharashtra collapsed.
Two Maharashtra state transport buses washed away in swollen Savitri River due to collapse of the old bridge in Raigharh district.
Government has deployed NDRF personnel and Navy officers to carryout search and rescue operations. Home Minister Rajnath Singh made a statement in Parliament and assured all the help for Maharashtra government.
“Centre stands with Maharashtra Govt in this hour of crisis and assures all possible help,” said HM
4 NDRF teams comprising 115 personnel including divers along with 12 boats were immediately rushed to the spot. One Sea king 42B helicopter on another mission was diverted to the area for search operations NDRF’s team of special divers with oxygen masks are going 10 metres deep down to look for missing passengers.
“2 bodies have been recovered so far. Once SAR ops is done, will conduct audit and take corrective measures if bridge found unfit for travelling purposes,” said Sheetal Ugale who is the district collector of Raigad.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke to Maharashtra Chief Minister and assured all help from Centre.
“NDRF teams have reached and carrying out search operations, massive search going on. As of now we have reports of 2 state transport buses missing with 22 people onboard,” the CM Said.
The ill-fated incident occurred on Tuesday night when the bridge connecting Maharashtra and Goa at Mahad in Raigad district washed out.
“There were two parallel bridges; one is a new bridge and one constructed during the British era. The old one collapsed,” said an official.
Raising the issue in the State Assembly, former CM Prithviraj Chavan said a judicial probe should be conducted and action taken against those guilty of allowing the old bridge to remain open for traffic.
“A case of IPC 302 should also be filed against PWD minister Chandrakant Patil,” he said.