Facing the charges of “compromising dignity” of Raj Bhavan, Meghalaya Governor V Shanmuganathan resigned late Thursday evening. Nearly 100 Raj Bhavan employees had demanded his removal, even writing to President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Narendra Modi, alleging that he “seriously compromised” with the dignity of the gubernatorial office.
However, 67-year-old Shanmuganathan has denied all the allegations.
According to the latest reports, his resignation has been accepted by President Pranab Mukherjee.
Earlier, nearly 100 Raj Bhavan staff in Shillong had petitioned the President, the Prime Minister and Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh seeking their intervention to remove the Governor and restore the dignity of Raj Bhavan.
The employees had alleged that Shanmuganathan had “seriously compromised the dignity of the Raj Bhavan and made it a ‘young ladies club’”.
“It has become a place where young ladies come and go at will on direct orders of the Governor…,” their representation read.
Shanmuganathan, who took over as the Governor of Meghalaya in May 2015, on Thursday attended a Republic Day celebration in Arunachal Pradesh, whose additional charge he holds since November last year following the removal of Jyoti Prasad Rajkhowa.
Women activists had begun a signature campaign here seeking Shanmuganathan’s removal. The campaign, spearheaded by women-led Civil Society Women Organisation (CSWO) and Thma u Rangli (TUR), was launched following reports of inappropriate behaviour by the Governor.
According to reports, a woman job aspirant had also accused the governor of making advances when she was appeared for an interview at the Raj Bhavan.
Congress party too had demanded dismissal of Meghalaya Governor V Shanmuganathan in the wake of Raj Bhawan staff writing against him to the President.
“We demand that the Meghalaya Governor V Shanmuganathan be dismissed immediately. There is an issue of Constitutional propriety involved,” said Congress spokesperson Tom Vadakkan.
“This is not that the Indian National Congress is saying. This is what, in an affidavit, 80 employees of Raj Bhawan have presented to the President of India,” he said terming the charges against him as “very serious”.
(With inputs from the PTI)