Every mischief in the Doklam sector will be dealt with “properly”, said General Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Eastern Command Lieutenant General (Lt Gen) Abhay Krishna even as he emphasised that the army is totally geared up to face any situation.
Speaking to the press in Kolkata after a wreath-laying ceremony on ‘Vijay Diwas’, he was answering to questions on reports of China stationing its troops in Doklam.
India and China were locked in a stand-off in Doklam sector for over two months earlier this year after the Chinese army tried to build a road in the area claimed by Indian-ally Bhutan.
India feared that the road, if completed, would allow China to cut off its access to its North Eastern states. The standoff ended in September after the two countries mutually agreed to withdraw their troops from the area.
Stating that he would not name anyone specifically, Lt Gen Krishna said the Indian Army is in high spirits and ready to take on any mischief.
“We are totally prepared, geared up; let anybody do any mischief and he will get it back nice and proper,” he told reporters.
The road-building effort by China and the presence of its troops at the tri-junction between India, China and Bhutan had led to an eyeball-to-eyeball face-off between New Delhi and Beijing for 73 days from June 16.
Reports have said that China still has troops stationed a few hundred metres from the tri-junction in Doklam sector.
Asked if the reports were verified, Lt Gen Krishna said a lot has been stated about them and he has nothing more to add.
“The Indian Army is always in very high spirits, we are always ready to take on any mischief by anybody. I am not going to name anybody specifically.
“Territorial integrity is ingrained in our blood and for that we will go to any extent to ensure the territorial integrity,” he said.
Asked if India was prepared for a two-front war, Lt Gen Krishna said the country was “undoubtedly” ready for any eventuality.
(With inputs from PTI)