Even as the fate of India-Pakistan Foreign Secretary level meeting hangs in a fragile balance, Union Home minister Rajnath Singh on Tuesday ruled out jumping to any conclusion over Pakistan’s action against the perpetrators of Pathankot terror attack. The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) had last week firmed up its stand seeking action on the assurance rendered by the Pakistan PM Nawaz Sharif to Prime Minister Modi.
Rajnath Singh opined that there is no reason to distrust Pakistan’s assurance that it will take effective action on inputs given about the perpetrators of the Pathankot terror attack.
“Pakistan government has said it will take effective action. I think we should wait,” Singh told the press pack on the sidelines of a function near New Delhi.
The Union Home Minister further added that since Pakistan has given the assurance to the Indian government, there should be no reason to disbelieve them so early. “There is no reason to distrust (avishvaas) them (Pakistan) so early,” he said.
Foreign Secretary level talks between the two countries are scheduled to be held on January 15 in Islamabad, which are now under the seeming cloud of speculations.
The dastardly terror attack, which began on the wee hours of January 1, 2016, went on over three days after six gunmen, with alleged Pakistan link, forced their way into the Air base at Pathankot in Punjab. While all six terrorists were killed in the counter-offensive operation by the Indian forces, seven security personnel, including a Lt. Col rank officer of NSG, were martyred.
Soon after the attack, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had, in a telephonic conversation, provided Pakistan PM with “actionable intelligence” to act upon the perpetrators of the terrorist act.
“Actionable intelligence in regard to the terrorist attack and the links with the perpetrators in Pakistan were provided to the Pakistani side. The Pakistan Prime Minister promised us prompt and decisive action,” the government had said addressing press in New Delhi last week.
“We now wait that prompt and decisive action,” the MEA spokesperson had said adding “our Prime Minister very strongly urged the Prime Minister of Pakistan to take action”.
There were reports on Monday that Pakistan’s law enforcement agencies have picked up “some suspects” connected to Pathankot airbase attack from Bahwalapur district. There is, however, no reaction yet by New Delhi over those reports.
On its part, India is claiming Maulana Masood Azhar, the founder of Jaish-e-Muhammed, to be the mastermind of Pathankot attack. It has also provided telephone number in Pakistan contacted by the terrorist during the attack on the airbase, besides other inputs.
(With inputs from the PTI)