Union Defence minister Manohar Parrikar has ruled out giving any video or any evidence of the surgical strikes conducted by the Indian army last week. Addressing a gathering in poll-bound Uttar Pradesh, he also questioned those who “doubted” the army and sought proof of the special army operation against terror launch pads across the Line of Control (LoC).
“No one had doubted bravery of our forces ever, but for the first time recently some people are doubting,” Parrikar said, maintaining that he would not like to take the names.
Describing the army operation as “100 per cent perfect surgical strike”, Manohar Parrikar stressed that borders of the country are secure under the Narendra Modi government at the Centre.
Further in his gathering at Agra, he cited the news report of a Delhi-based news and current affairs TV network, which claimed of one Pakistani police officer admitting that surgical strikes did happen. “There is now no more reason to release video or to give any proof,” he said highlighting the reports.
“Some ex-servicemen wrote to me and said that they are ready to fight on the border if need arises. I salute them,” he said lauding army personnel.
There has been a sudden debate on the surgical strikes with especially Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and some Congress party leaders asking the Centre to go public with the evidence in order to what they claim “calling Pakistan’s bluff”.
The opposition parties had even accused the government of politicising surgical strikes for electoral ends.
Taking note of the raging debate over surgical strikes, Prime Minister Modi on Wednesday had firmly cautioned his Cabinet colleagues against creating hysteria over the military action.
During the Cabinet meeting, Prime Minister is understood to have told his ministerial colleagues that only authorised people should speak on the issue of surgical strikes and one should avoid speaking out-of-turn, sources said.
(With inputs from the PTI)