Home Minister Rajnath Singh has postponed his scheduled visit to Russia and the United States in the wake of the attack in Uri that killed 17 Indian soldiers.
Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar and Army Chief General Dalbir Suhag have also rushed to Jammu and Kashmir to visit the site of the attack.
The Home Minister was scheduled to leave for Russia tonight for a four-day bilateral visit and later to the US on September 26 for a six-day tour to attend the Indo-US Homeland Security Dialogue.
“Keeping the situation of Jammu and Kashmir in mind and in the wake of terror attack in Uri, I have postponed my visits to Russia and the US,” he said in a statement here.
“I have given instructions to Home Secretary (Rajiv Mehrishi) and other officers in the Home Ministry to closely monitor the situation in Jammu and Kashmir,” he said.
Rajnath Singh also held an emergency meeting to review the situation after the terror strike. Singh also spoke to the Jammu and Kashmir Governor NN Vohra and Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti, who apprised him of the situation post the attack.
Terrorists struck at an Army camp in North Kashmir’s Uri town when militants stormed a battalion headquarters early on Sunday morning, killing 17 jawans and leaving at least 19 security men injured. Four militants were also gunned down in the gunfire.
Unrest in Kashmir Valley has been continuing for more than two months ever since the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen militant Burhan Wani on July 8 in which nearly 80 people have lost their lives so far.
This was for the second time that Singh has cancelled his trip to the US due to violence in Kashmir. Earlier, he was scheduled to leave for the US on July 17 for a week-long visit but it was postponed due to sudden eruption of violence in Kashmir after Wani’s killing.
(With inputs from PTI)