Rajnath reviews J&K situation, talks to Chief Min

RSTV Bureau
File Photo of a High Level Meeting chaired by Rajnath Singh.

File Photo of a High Level Meeting chaired by Rajnath Singh.

Home Minister Rajnath Singh today reviewed the situation in Jammu and Kashmir in the wake of protests over the killing of a top Hizbul Mujahideen commander and spoke to Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti, assuring her all possible help from the Centre.

During a 30-minute meeting, the Home Minister was briefed on the law and order situation in Kashmir Valley following the killing of Burhan Wani in Kokernag area, 83 km from Srinagar.

He had also telephoned Mehbooba yesterday and assured her all central assistance, a Home Ministry official said.

At the meeting, the Home Minister directed officials to ensure that paramilitary forces in Kashmir provide all assistance the state government for restoration of peace and normalcy in the Valley as early as possible.

The official said Amarnath pilgrims stuck in Srinagar have been escorted out and taken for the yatra. Those who were stuck in higher areas were escorted back, he said.

The yatra remained suspended for the second consecutive day today from Jammu.

“The yatra remains suspended for the second consecutive day today from Jammu. No fresh batch of pilgrims has been sent out from here,” Deputy Commissioner, Jammu, Simrandeep Singh said.

Mobile and Internet services also remained suspended as a precautionary measure.

The Home Minister said that all steps should be taken for ensuring safety of Amarnath pilgrims as also that of Kashmiri Pandits. Houses of some Kashmiri Pandits had been attacked in some parts of the Valley, the official said.

The Home Minister said that security forces should be deployed in sensitive places and additional paramilitary personnel be sent to the state if required.

Union Home Secretary Rajiv Mehrishi said the situation in the Valley is under control.

The meeting was attended by Mehrishi, officials of the Home Ministry, paramilitary forces and intelligence agencies.

The Home Minister had yesterday appealed to the people of the state to remain calm and maintain peace.

In a big blow to militancy in the state, Wani, the 21- year-old poster boy of Hizbul Mujahideen, was shot dead on Friday by security forces along with two of his accomplices in Kokernag area.

(With agency inputs).