We did it too…says Congress as it questions Centre

RSTV Bureau
An army person takes position and moves towards the site where militants were hiding  Photo-PTI

An army person takes position and moves towards the site where militants were hiding
Photo-PTI

Congress party’s back ‘n’ forth over the surgical strikes continues. Hours after its Mumbai unit chief Sanjay Nirupam raised doubt over the veracity of the surgical strikes conducted by army across the Line of Control (LoC) last week, his party distanced itself from his view. But at the same time revised its stand on the issue, seeking to claim credit on the surgical strikes during its rule at the Centre.

Congress has thrown its weight behind the government last week, even lauding the move to conduct strikes against the terror camps across the LoC, but today it asked the Central government to go public with the evidence over the surgical strikes.

“Congress party dissociates from Sanjay Nirupam’s remarks on surgical strikes… We have taken serious note of it,” Congress spokesperson Randeep Singh Surjewala told the press at AICC headquarters in New Delhi.

Earlier, Nirupam raked up the controversial debate terming the strikes as “fake”, even accusing the ruling BJP of indulging in politics over national interest.

“Every Indian wants surgical strikes against Pakistan but not a fake one to extract just political benefit by BJP. politics over national interest(sic),” he shared his opinion on the micro-blogging site Twitter earlier on Tuesday.

Soon after his tweet gave way to debate, Nirupam called the presser at Mumbai and put the onus on the Centre to prove the surgical strikes did take place.

Former Union Minister and Congress leader P Chidambaram along with Randeep Surjewala (L) leaves after addressing a press conference on two years of NDA government, at the party headquarters in New Delhi on Saturday.

File photo of former Union Minister and Congress leader P Chidambaram along with Randeep Surjewala (L). Photo – PTI

“The way BJP was indulging in politics, putting up banners and taking credit gives a view whether such strikes did happen,” he said.

“In Goa, the Defence Minister (Manohar Parrikar) is being publicly felicitated. Why were earlier surgical strikes not announced in a press conference? Why was a press conference done now?. Was there any pressure from the government?” he continued as he raised questions in his presser.

Earlier in the day, Union cabinet minister Ravishankar Prasad had questioned Congress party citing P Chidambaram’s remarks over the surgical strikes. Prasad had also come down on Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal who had urged the Centre to release evidence on Monday. Kejriwal’s remarks have thus far been used by the Pakistan press to build its denial on the strikes.

In the midst of these developments, Union Home minister Rajnath Singh, who is on a two-day trip to Ladakh, said the Modi government will not allow anyone to dent India’s honour and every citizen has faith in the country’s armed forces.

“I have not read any such statement. Desh ke bache, bache ko sena par bharosa hain aur garv hain, aur rahega (The entire nation has faith in our armed forces and are proud of them and it will remain so),” he said.

“Our government will not allow anyone to dent the country’s honour and prestige at any cost. We will ensure that the country’s head is always held high,” the Union Home minister added.