Suicide attack in Kabul; Prez Ghani flays Pakistan

RSTV Bureau
File Photo ( PTI )

File Photo ( PTI )

A massive blast triggered by the suicide bomber rocked Kabul city early on Monday afternoon killing at least five people and leaving more than 15 injured. The deadly suicide attack took place near the entrance to Kabul’s international airport. Soon after the attack, Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani flayed Pakistan as Kabul continues to suffer from the spike in deadly blasts off late.

“We hoped for peace but we are receiving messages of war from Pakistan,” the angry Afghanistan premier told the press.

Addressing a television news conference, Ashraf Ghani criticised the neighbouring nation Pakistan over a recent wave of deadly attacks in the capital Kabul, which has killed at least 56 people so far.

“The last few days have shown that suicide bomber training camps and bomb-producing factories which are killing our people are as active as before in Pakistan,” President Ghani said during the news conference.

Earlier in the afternoon, a busy roundabout not far from the entrance to the Kabul airport was targeted by the suicide bombers.

“The incident took place when a suicide car bomber struck the front gate of the airport,” Kabul police spokesperson Ebadullah Karimi told the local and international press.

“Five civilians were killed and 16 others wounded including children,” the police spokesperson added further.

Afghan-blast-Aug-10-2

Kabul : Afghan boys look through their window, at the site after an attack on the main gate of International Hamed Karzai Airport in Kabul, Afghanistan, Monday, Aug. 10, 2015. Photo – PTI

The investigators and the press pack were told that a huge plume of black smoke rose above the city after the explosion. The bodies of the victims lay on the roadside, even as the nearby shops were destroyed and windows of a nearby building shattering after the loud explosion. Soon the busy traffic noise gave way to the sirens of ambulance and the vehicles of police and other security staff.

According to some reports, the Taliban has claimed responsibility for the blasts which were intended to target the foreign coalition forces. However, the Afghan authorities are yet to confirm the veracity of claims made by Taliban spokesperson Zabiullah Mujahid.

Off-late Kabul has witnessed a series of attacks resulting in the killings of scores of people and hundreds wounded. On Friday, the suicide attackers targeted an army complex along with the police academy and a US Special Forces base killing 51 people in the blasts.

They are said to be first major attacks since Mullah Akhtar Mansour was named as the new Taliban chief in an acrimonious power transition after the insurgents confirmed the death of their long-time leader Mullah Omar.

(With inputs from the PTI)