At least 27 policemen were killed Thursday afternoon when two powerful blasts ripped through the buses transporting police cadets in a western neighbourhood of Kabul. As per the official information so far, 40 others have been left wounded.
“We are still investigating the precise nature of the blast, whether it was suicide attack, car bomb or whatever — we do not know it at the moment,” a senior official told the press.
There are however, some reports that the two buses transporting police cadets were struck by a suicide bomber. The attacks took place in a lower-class district of western Kabul.
Sediq Sediqqi, interior ministry spokesman, told the press that “there were two explosions that targeted the police cadets vehicles on the outskirts of Kabul city.”
The attack was quickly confirmed by the Taliban’s spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid, who claimed “many were killed and wounded”.
The Taliban have been waging an insurgency against the government since being ousted from power by a US-led coalition in 2001.
Attacks and casualties have soared since the departure of foreign combat troops in 2014, but earlier this month US President Barack Obama ordered his military to tackle the resurgent Taliban more directly — in tandem with Afghan allies, ratcheting up the 15-year conflict he had vowed to end.
The latest attack comes little over a week after 14 Nepali security guards were killed in a massive blast.