Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh made a statement in Parliament on Thursday on the Udhampur terror strike where two Border Security Force (BSF) jawans were killed while combating the terrorists. One terrorist was killed and other was caught alive in an ambush attack which went on for few hours. While in Udhampur, the two BSF martyrs were honoured before their bodies were sent to their respective hometowns.
Apprising the Upper house with the early information available after his interrogation thus far, the Union Minister said, “preliminary inquiry reveals two terrorist who attacked the BSF convoy in Udhampur yesterday were Pakistanis. The arrested terrorist is identified as Mohammed Naved alias Usman, resident of Faislabad and his partner who was killed is said to be Mohammed Momeen, a resident of Bhahwalpur in Pakistan. Two AK 47 assault rifles, grenades and fire arms were recovered from them.”
Rajnath Singh also told the house that further questioning of the arrested terrorist will provide more information on the modus operandi of their terror module and essentially the information on “infiltrations from across the border”.
Lauding the bravery of the BSF soldiers and the local villagers, who helped in apprehending the fleeing terrorist, Rajnath Singh added, “we strongly condemn the attack by militants on our security forces. We are thinking about honouring the martyrs with gallantry for showing amazing courage in combating terror. I would also like to thank the villagers for their bravery.”
The elite-counter terror National Investigating Agency (NIA) has now taken over the probe.
Back in Udhampur, Constable Subhendu Rai and Constable Rocky of the BSF were honoured with their bodies draped in tricolour and several officers paying homage on Thursday morning.
The two soldiers were killed when two terrorists ambushed the BSF convoy on Jammu-Srinagar National Highway in Udhampur early on Wednesday. 11 other jawans were left injured in a gun battle which ensued after the ambush. The terror strike on the convoy of the security force had come just over a week after fidayeen attack in Punjab killing 8 people, including a senior police officer.
While one terrorist was shot dead by the security forces in a counter-offensive operation, other one was nabbed after he attempted to take residents of nearby village hostage. The arrested terrorist, now identified as Mohammed Naved, was over-powered by the local residents before he was handed over to the security forces.
According to the preliminary interrogation report submitted to the Union home ministry, the arrested terrorist Mohammed Naved had fired at the BSF convoy before fleeing and taking three villagers hostage, who overpowered him and captured him. The report further added that he had undergone two types of training with Lashker-e- Taiba (LeT) terror group.
Meanwhile, Pakistan government has challenged the claims of the Indian authorities that the terrorists were from Pakistan. Not a surprising stand taken by the Pakistan establishment as they had earlier denied 26/11 terrorist Ajmal Kasab too.
“We have said many a times that making immediate accusations on Pakistan is not correct. These things should be based on facts. We expect that whenever Pakistan is being accused of something, it will be accompanied with correct evidence,” Pakistan Foreign Office Spokesperson Syed Qazi Khalilullah said on the arrest of the terrorist in India.
“We expect the Indian authorities to share information with us on the claims that are being made in the media,” the Foreign office spokesperson added.
(With inputs from the PTI)