Just days after the London bridge attack, US President Donald Trump has renewed his call for a travel ban to protect Americans from “dangerous countries.” But the President did not disclose the names of these countries.
“That’s right, we need a TRAVEL BAN for certain DANGEROUS countries, not some politically correct term that won’t help us protect our people!” Trump tweeted on Monday evening.
The President posted a series of tweets saying the Department of Justice should have pushed the initial order rather than the “watered down, politically correct version” he submitted to the Supreme Court.
Trump’s initial executive order was with regard to a travel ban for people coming from six Muslim majority countries – Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. The order was shot down by the US judiciary last month after it faced a severe backlash from the global community.
Meanwhile, as of now the White House has ruled out a new executive order on the matter.
“Not that I’m aware of. But the President is going to continue taking aggressive steps every single day to protect the people in this country,” said the White House Principal Deputy Press Secretary, Sarah Sanders.
“The President is very focused on exactly what that order spells out, and that’s protecting Americans, protecting national security. And he has every constitutional authority to do that through that executive order, and he maintains that and that position hasn’t changed in the slightest,” she said.
“The danger is extremely clear. The law is very clear. And the need for this executive order is very clear. And the President’s priority in protecting the people is very clear. Full stop,” Sanders said in response to a question.
On Saturday night, three knife-wielding attackers went on a terror rampage in London, plowing a van into pedestrians on the iconic London Bridge before stabbing revellers in nearby Borough market, killing seven people.
(With inputs from PTI)