The US is moving forward with the preparations for the much-awaited June 12 Singapore summit between Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un but is prepared for other eventualities too, the White House has said.
The comments come at a time when the White House is engaged in hectic talks with Pyongyang, Tokyo and Seoul.
“We’re moving forward, and we’ll be prepared either way. And we’re planning as if it is happening. We’re expecting that to take place. But we’ll be prepared, and that’s what we’re going to do right now is focus on the preparation side,” White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said.
US President Donald Trump, she said, thinks that the ongoing discussions are going very well and that the meetings taking place over this week are certainly signs of progress.
The summit has seen seesawing fortunes with both the nations pulling out last week but soon after announcing that the talks are back on the track.
Donald Trump, had in April this year, stunned the world by accepting an invitation to meet Kim in an unprecedented sit-down.
A US delegation is meeting with the North Korean delegation in the DMZ or demilitarized zone. The United States delegation consists of Sung Kim, US Ambassador to the Philippines, Allison Hooker, Director of Korea for the National Security Council, and Randy Schriver, Assistant Secretary of Defense for Asian and Pacific Security Affairs at the Department of Defence.
Separately, Joe Hagen, White House Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, and the US pre-advance team, including members from the State Department, are in Singapore this week, where they are conducting logistics of the expected summit.
“We’re looking forward to participating in those meetings as we prepare for President Trump’s summit in June,” she said.
(With inputs from Agencies)