US Secy of State in Ankara to discuss Saudi journalist’s disappearance

RSTV Bureau
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, left, meets with Saudi Arabia's King Salman in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, Tuesday Oct. 16, 2018. U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo met on Tuesday with Saudi Arabia's King Salman over the disappearance and alleged slaying of Saudi writer Jamal Khashoggi, who vanished two weeks ago during a visit to the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul. AP/PTI

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, left, meets with Saudi Arabia’s King Salman in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, Tuesday Oct. 16, 2018. U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo met on Tuesday with Saudi Arabia’s King Salman over the disappearance and alleged slaying of Saudi writer Jamal Khashoggi, who vanished two weeks ago during a visit to the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul. AP/PTI

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Wednesday arrived in Ankara for talks with the Turkish leadership over the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi at the kingdom’s consulate in Istanbul.

Pompeo, arriving fresh from talks in Saudi Arabia, touched down at Ankara’s Esenboga Airport, where he was due to meet President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, an AFP correspondent said.

Khashoggi, 59, a Washington Post contributor, is feared killed at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul. He has not been seen since entering the kingdom’s mission two weeks ago.

“In Ankara, the Secretary will meet with Turkish Foreign Minister Cavusoglu to welcome the decision to release Pastor Andrew Brunson and to discuss other issues of bilateral importance,” spokesperson Heather Nauert said.

“The Secretary will also discuss the Jamal Khashoggi case and reiterate the US offer to assist Turkey in its investigation,” she said in a brief statement.

Khashoggi, a dissident Saudi journalist who lived in the US as a legal permanent resident, was last seen entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.

Turkish investigative agencies have said that he was brutally killed inside the consulate, claiming to have audio and video evidence.

So far Saudi Arabia has denied the allegation and said that Khashoggi had left the consulate. Some US media reports said that Saudi Arabia is planning to come out with a repot in which it is expected to say that the interrogation of Khashoggi went wrong and he was killed in the process.

US President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that Saudi Arabia has started a full investigation into the disappearance of Khashoggi.

(With inputs from AFP)