Vice President of India, M Venkaiah Naidu has asked the Governors to avoid controversies by adhering to the provision of Constitution and also to promote simple living habits through regular interaction with the people.
He was addressing the 48th Conference of Governors, in Rashtrapati Bhawan, on Friday.
Governors have an important role in this national mission ‘The Constitution of India’ enjoin the Governors to “preserve, protect and defend the Constitution and the law” and also to devote themselves “to the service and well being of the people”.
“We are not parallel power centres and democratically elected governments are supreme. We are representatives of centre and constitution,” he said.
The Vice President said that we must ensure that our vision becomes a shared vision and that this agenda becomes a people’s agenda. We need to reform governance and create a new paradigm of results based management, he added.
The Vice President said that the Governors should take on the role of a guide, philosopher and mentor and they should act as ‘catalysts’ and ‘facilitators’ of this change process. He further said that they can be the ‘motivators’ and ‘mentors’ to bring in positive change in the mindset of the population. They can be thought leaders to give a fresh impetus to better delivery of services, he added.
“They can be thought leaders to give a fresh impetus to better delivery of services,” he added.
Here are the ten national programmes outlined by the Vice President of India
- Make our democracy really meaningful and inclusive. Strive to strengthen local bodies as per the 73rd and 74th constitutional amendment;
- Make Swach Bharat a people’s movement and sanitation, hygiene and cleanliness a way of life;
- Focus on tree plantation and increase the green cover
- Rejuvenate traditional water bodies like the village ponds and tanks and also the rivers;
- Ensure effective implementation of Beti Bachao-Beti Padhao programme;
- Take concerted action to root out the social evils that continue to plague our society like casteism, untouchability, atrocities against weaker sections, and restricted temple entry;
- Ancient system of Yoga, the most affordable, effective and integrated system needs to be popularized for better physical and mental health;
- Aim at inclusive growth by promoting organic agriculture, making agriculture more economically viable and see whether Banks are adhering to priority lending of 18% for agriculture;
- Create awareness and motivate all the stakeholders to join the fight against corruption and black money;
- Strengthen the democratic system to make it more functional and effective.